REPORT OF PRINCIPAL AND SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT COUNCIL
Our school is helping all students develop the World Class Skills of the Profile of the South Carolina Graduate by working cooperatively with parents and the community to promote academic success and rigorous thinking in a safe, challenging environment with high expectations. Our purpose is to develop lifelong learners who use critical thinking skills to grow. At North Augusta Elementary, we envision our school as a safe instructional environment where all students will have their individual needs, differences, and abilities recognized, and will be challenged to excel in learning supported by a cooperative school community. Our school is helping all students develop the world-class skills and life and career characteristics of the Profile of the South Carolina Graduate by incorporating rigorous standards in the areas of language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies, and the arts.
This year our School Improvement Council lead the process for updating our school mission statement. We gathered and analyzed input from students, parents, and staff to develop our new mission statement. The Mission of North Augusta Elementary is:
At North Augusta Elementary School, we are developing students who dream big, reach high and are ready to change the future by
- Laying a strong academic foundation with consistent expectations across all grade levels
- Providing opportunities for leadership and the development of character in all students
- Nurturing and growing partnerships with parents and the community
The School Improvement Council also continued its support of two important programs.
- Real Men Read, which began in 2015, is a program inviting men from the community, fathers, uncles, & other male family members to adopt a class and read to that class weekly for the school year. These gentlemen build a positive relationship with the students and serve as role models.
- 2018-2019 was the third year of our North Augusta Elementary Writing Lab. The North Augusta Elementary writing lab allows students to experience the joy that is found in writing while improving their ability to communicate. Students write with a purpose to share, persuade, inform and entertain.
Our highly qualified teachers utilize a balanced literacy approach and provide rigorous lessons focused on standards that challenge students to think critically and work collaboratively as teams to solve problems. Our teachers also grow continuously through monthly staff development learning opportunities as well as visits to other high-performing schools.
At North Augusta Elementary, we offer students the opportunity to experience life and career characteristics through events such as our community Veteran’s Day celebration, Literacy celebrations, Math & Science day, STEM/PLTW projects, Digging in the Dirt day-to beautify our school, our 5th grade DARE program, and many field trips to enhance classroom instruction.
We promote integrity, perseverance, self-direction, and work ethic in our students by recognizing students weekly and monthly who display positive character, good behavior and the seven habits of leadership.
Our nurturing environment, including the administration, faculty, staff, students, parents, and community members of North Augusta Elementary School, ensure that high expectations and learning strategies are incorporated for our students throughout the year.
Patricia J. Wilson, Principal
Dana Craven, SIC Chair