The South Carolina General Assembly approved SC Charter Law: 59-40-30 (B) in May 2006 to encourage cultural diversity, educational improvement, and academic excellence. The Legislature created the South Carolina Public Charter School District (SCPCSD) to execute this mission and serve as a statewide authorizer of public charter schools. With a mission to improve student learning and increase learning opportunities by creating innovative, high-quality charter schools, the District strives to achieve academic excellence by championing and advancing educational choices that are student-centric and parent-respected. After a year of planning, the first schools opened for the school year 2008-2009.
In 2021-2022, the SCPCSD authorized, championed, and supported a growing portfolio of 37 public charter schools across South Carolina. Despite the continued challenges of the COVID 19 Pandemic, the District successfully opened six new schools in 2021, a direct result of the dedicated leadership of the Board of Trustees and capable staff. Under the leadership of Superintendent Chris Neeley, the SCPCSD is positioning itself to lead the way to academic excellence for many students and parents across South Carolina. This journey will play a significant role in helping the state close the achievement gap by ensuring that each student is academically equipped to reach their full potential.
Today, with a network of 38 total charter schools across the state, the District is positioned to impact the economic mobility of forgotten rural regions of South Carolina like the I-95 corridor. These communities need educational choice opportunities to prepare today's generation for economic expansion in the future. Establishing charter schools in these regions is a viable option to address the needs. The District's success in expanding its portfolio of schools will ensure that every student has access to a high-quality education that will academically equip them to reach their life-long fullest potential.
We envision a South Carolina where each child is academically equipped to reach their full potential in life.
The South Carolina Public Charter School District authorizes, champions and supports the creation and advancement of innovative K-12 public charter schools that provide academic opportunities for every student in SC to reach their fullest potential.
We value the unique talents and abilities of all students and hold high expectations for social, emotional and academic growth inclusively within the diverse population we serve. Our efforts are guided by the following principles:
- Focus – We care deeply about the students and parents that our charter schools serve and are committed to bringing our best efforts forward to serve and support their successes.
- Integrity – We are committed to upholding a culture that exemplifies the highest levels of honesty, respect, and dignity in all of our interactions and endeavors.
- Equity – We are committed to advocating for and providing needed resources for diverse students throughout South Carolina to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to achieve their highest academic potential.
- Excellence – We strive to be second to none in creating, supporting, and sustaining district charter schools and are committed to being an efficient, effective, and resourceful district to achieve success.
- Relationships – We are committed to building and sustaining positive and healthy partnerships with our schools, communities and businesses to ensure that every student in South Carolina has access to a high-quality education.